Thursday, September 1, 2011

Wisdom from April in September

Question to comic April Macie


Is it possible to learn comedy from an instructor or do you need to pick it up on the street like learning about diarrhea?


 April’s Answer:


 Just write and get on stage every day, that is the only way you learn. And I would watch every bit of stand-up you can. Figure out who you love and then dissect what qualities make them great... jokes, energy, physicality, cadence, story telling... watch their timing, study the nuances of greatness... you have to home school yourself with comedy... and the learning and growth should never stop.


 New Question Derek


A really wise person (you) once told me just write and get on stage everyday. Now they won't let me take a pencil on stage any more, nothing funny about a guy writing on stage. Is there not a structure like swimming strokes, to help me when I am drowning? Is comedy just for the Gods or those willing to undertake the sacrifice?


Aprils Answer


I read a great quote from Bernie Mac, it said, "Comedy isn't a career. Comedy isn't even a choice. Comedy is a calling." Yes, while there are sacrifices with comedy (I'm darting towards barren spinsterdom), I believe if it's your calling, comedy is never a sacrifice... "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life." Comedy has also afforded me an amazing life and every day is a new memory or experience and I believe a great life can be measured by the amount of experienes we take in and lives we touch. As far as structure... yes, there is always structure to a great joke.... Here is one of my favorites by Dave Attell... If you look at the beats and rythm it's perfectly crafted... Some of you girls are pulling way too hard. (PREMISE/ SET UP) Some of you are pulling like you're trying to pull a better looking guy out of me. What is that? (SELF-DEPRECATING PUNCHLINE) I didn't swallow Patrick Dempsey. (TAG. A TAG IS AN ADDITIONAL LAUGH AND THROW AWAY BEAT TO A JOKE) I'm the same bald fat guy who met you on myspace. Deal with it. (ANOTHER SELF-DEPRECATING TAG) And you don't even have the class to spit on your hand first. (EXPANDED PREMISE) A dry hobo jerk-down. (PUNCHLINE) What are your stepfathers teaching you? (TAG) What a great joke. (SELF-CONGRATULATORY, BUT TRUE) The only thing missing from that joke is Oprah silently nodding. (PUNCHLINE. CLOSES WITH PHYSICALITY)


New Question Derek 


I really appreciate your earlier answers and thank you for your time. Now I will be a pain again and try to make my really poorly worded point. In every profession people are encouraged to learn, from instruction, to further their goals. Law, Medicine, Finance and even the Arts all have streams that allow for the passing of knowledge from one generation to another. Every profession but comedy where the answer is always watch,write and practice. There are aspects of comedy that can be taught (set-up-punchline, tag, call back, power of 3, physical sell and hold, the opposite etc.) to beginners which would give them a structure to explore their unique view of life. Like any profession the cream will rise to the top (that's me looking up at you) and the rest of us could enjoy the experience more not to mention inflicting less suffering on the audience.


How about this for my question... Would a beginner comic benefit from instruction in the basics of comedy performance and writing?


Answer April


There was a club manager at the Funnybone in South Bend (Janet) who would ask the headliners to watch the open-mic comics and give them notes. Every week the comics would get notes from a different comic. I always thought it was one of the nicest things I'd seen in the comedy business... Haven't seen it since. Comedy is one of those things that can only be learned by doing. Someone told me years ago it would take ten years to start to find my voice. At the time, I thought they were crazy. Ten years later, I have since realized, they were right. Part of being great is confidence and that takes years to build. I watch people who are ten years my senior and I realize how far I have to go. Just get on stage, write and watch people you think are great and you will learn.


New Question Derek

Thank you April, I posted our discussion as my students need to hear your words. They are learning comedy as a skill and wondered why it took so long to become "good". From you the words carry weight. Final questions When are you coming to Calgary Alberta Canada and do you have a white Stetson Cowboy hat? 

Answer April

I do not have a cowboy hat and feel free to request me at your local comedy club, I don't have Alberta on my schedule currently... feel free to tell your students the one thing they really need to learn in the comedy business is patience. 

1 comment:

  1. Great comic writing and being a great seasoned stand-up comic are related and are not the same. You can have one without the other. Like herpes and outbreaks.
    Learning the art of stand-up comedy like any other art starts with appreciation. Like learning how to use a colour wheel; learning the components of a joke is a tool to create material. Practice makes the art/material better.
    Not everyone can be a comic but everyone can be funnier and better looking.

    ReplyDelete